Written By Mandy Treeby Chief Baby Sleep Consultant
Parents of 6-month-olds may be wondering, “What is a sleep schedule for 6-month-olds?” Well, we’re here to answer all your questions, including “How many hours should my 6-month-old sleep during the day.” We have you covered.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- Sleep Schedule for 6-Month-Olds with 3 Naps
- Do 6-Month-Olds sleep through the night?
- What is a 6-month-old’s Wake Window?
- How much sleep should a 6-month-old get?
- How much should my 6-month-old sleep at night?
- How much should my 6-month-old sleep during daytime naps?
- How Long is a 6-month-old’s naps?
By now your babies’ circadian rhythms have firmed up and they have the power to self-soothe – that is, calm and relax themselves to fall asleep alone. If you’re struggling with sleep, check out the Smart Sleep Coach by Pampers™ app. It’s a powerful tool that will guide you step by step to sleep success.
Sample Sleep Schedule for a 6-Month-Old Baby:
Wake windows are a fundamental driver of sleep. Learn more about how they work by downloading the Smart Sleep Coach by Pampers™ app. It automatically tracks wake windows when you enter sleeps and adjusts your baby’s recommended schedule to optimize for overnight sleep.
Sleep Schedule for 6-Month-Olds with 3 Naps:
|“Good morning!”||6:30 AM|
|Nap 1||8:30-9:45 AM||
Awake: 2 hrs.
Nap: 1 hr. 15 mins.
|Nap 2||12:00-1:30 PM||
Awake: 2 hrs. 30 mins.
Nap: 1.5 hr.
|Nap 3||4:00-4:30 PM||
Awake 2 hrs. 30 mins.
Nap: 30 mins.
|“Good night”||7:15 PM||Awake: 2 hrs. 45 mins.|
Do 6-Month-Olds sleep through the night?
Sometimes, though not always. There are a few factors at play:
- Sleep training: If your baby’s learning to fall asleep independently and has a bedtime routine, they may sleep longer at night without night wakings.
- Feedings: Many babies this age still wake 1-2 times at night for a quick feed.
What is a 6-month-old’s Wake Window?
A 6-month-old is typically awake 2-3 hours between naps or a nap and bedtime.
How much sleep should a 6-month-old get?
About 14-hours over a 24-hour period.
How much should my 6-month-old sleep at night?
About 11-12 hours is a good goal.
How much should my 6-month-old sleep during daytime naps?
Six-month-olds typically get about 2.5-3 hours of nap time across 3 naps.
How Long is a 6-month-old’s naps?
- The first two naps generally are 60-90 minutes.
- The third nap may be about this length, but it’s more typically 30-45 minutes.
Is there a 6-month-old sleep regression?
No, although sleep could still be off track if your baby is still learning the skills to fall asleep independently.